Part one of our journey speaks about why we want to set up the Flarum Foundation and who will be taking the lead in this organisation.
Since that announcement, over a month ago - 😮 time flies - I worked on the bylaws with our lawyer Arnoud Engelfriet. These bylaws stipulate the legal rules of how the foundation is supposed to be run, but also how we are supposed to protect the future of Flarum as a project.
Bylaws consist of several basic definitions; the name, location, goal and how it attempts to achieve these goals. Here's a rough translation of all of these:
- Name and seat
- The foundation is named "Flarum Foundation"
- The foundation is registered in Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
- The foundation has the goal to "empower people and companies to connect intellectually and emotionally through online communities, by providing a technically excellent, open and extensible discussion platform".
- The foundation aims to achieve her goals by:
- Providing Flarum as a free open source product under the MIT license.
- Collecting the financial means and intellectual properties around these.
- Connecting with and informing governments, private people and companies to the benefit of the Flarum product.
- The production and operation of commercial services, services and products, directly or indirectly to the benefit of the financial stability of the foundation, where offering Flarum as free open source can never be lost sight of.
The rest of the document is pretty straightforward and mentions the board members, their appointment, board meetings and responsibilities.
Important in the above articles are that:
a) we are responsible for maintaining Flarum as a free, open source product and
b) we do everything in our power to achieve our goal of "providing a technically excellent, open and extensible discussion platform". A fully translated version of our bylaws will be made available on the website in the near future.
The meeting with the notary to set up this Foundation is scheduled for tomorrow! Once the papers have been signed our official identification information will be sent over by the authorities and we can move into the more exciting stages.