v1.1.0 - Platypus
- ‼️ New spoiler and strike-through buttons for Markdown
- 🦶 Post footers are now hidden when empty, reducing whitespace
- 🗜️ Code blocks now have a maximum height
- 🤖 Accessibility improvements for search, checkboxes, and icons
- 🎨 New theme extenders to override entire Less files
- ⏱️ New frontend asset preloading extender, used by default to preload FontAwesome, JS and CSS
- 🙈 New no-JS admin dashboard, for when that pesky extension breaks everything
- 🙆 Replaced usernames with display names in more places
- 💻️ Various frontend typing improvements for developers
php flarum info now shows your forum MySQL version
- 🐛 Loads more bug fixes
- 🆕 ...and much more!
📣 The release
Woah, how time flies! It feels like just last week that we hit Flarum's 1.0 stable milestone. But now another release cycle has passed, and we're happy to welcome to the stage (trumpet noises)... Flarum 1.1! 🎺 🎉
A fair bit has changed with Flarum in 1.1. We've been mainly focusing on bugfixes, extensibility and developer improvements, along with a sprinkling of accessibility.
Most extensions should face no breaking changes, but those with deep integration into the frontend may have some slight hiccups before they're updated for 1.1.
For a full list of changes, check out our changelog and upgrade guide.
👨💻 For Developers
Most extensions should be ready-to-go on Flarum 1.1 out of the box. If you're overriding component views, or directly manipulating the DOM, you might need to implement some minor changes in some areas.
For theming, we have switched to CSS custom properties wherever possible. You can finally remove your horrible
!important properties from your colour modifications, and switch to the applicable custom property overrides. Check out the pull request for more info.
Before you upgrade, make sure to create a backup of your
public/assets directory, your
composer.json and your database!
Before starting the upgrade process, ensure you are on Flarum 1.0.0 or above in your Admin Dashboard or by typing
php flarum info. If you're not, use the previous release notes for upgrading from an earlier version.
To upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1, take a look at our upgrade guide documentation. The process should be much easier compared to previous major version upgrades, due to the lack of breaking changes.
If you run into any issues, please open a new discussion under the Support tag. Ignore similar discussions, and open a new one anyhow. Make sure to mention the output of
php flarum info,
composer why-not flarum/core v1.1.0 and any errors in their fullest.
Flarum wouldn't be the same without our over one hundred contributors, along with their generous time commitments! For this release we specifically thank these wonderful people:
🆘 Support the Project
We need your support to:
- Guarantee continued development on the software.
- Create a valuable ecosystem around the project.
- Ensure healthy extensions are available.
You can support us:
- 👕 By getting some swag from our merchandise store!
- 💵 By backing us on Open Collective or on GitHub.
- 👩💻 By contributing to the source code, hop onto any of our open issues.
- 📈 By creating your own Flarum extensions and sharing them with the world!
- 🌎 By translating Flarum and extensions into your own language.
- 💝 By sharing your love for Flarum with friends, family and on the internet.
- 💬 By hanging out with us, here on discuss!
If you're looking to get coding, make sure to check out our documentation.
🔮 What now?
We're currently planning our kick-off meeting for build 19 (v1.2), as well as discussing future roadmaps and strategy ready for v2. Hopefully, we'll have a roadmap for v2.0 up soon!
There might be a couple of minor patches between v1.1 and v1.2 where we address minor bugs, so keep an eye out for those.