v1.2.0 - Quokka
📣 The Release
Yet another year has gone by, and another year has come, the Flarum team wishes a happy new year to all of you flarumites 🎉, and may 2022 be another exciting year for the project.
And with all the recent festivities, Flarum also comes bearing a gift! we are very happy to announce the release of Flarum v1.2 which contains more than 240 commits 🤯, made up of bug squashes, performance improvements, accessibility fixes, and some nice feature additions. With over 105 issues closed on the milestone, this is Flarum's second biggest release to date. Let's see some highlights:
- 📑 You can now view
README documentation on an extension page (flarum/core#3094).
- 🎨 Color inputs in the appearance page display a preview of the chosen color (flarum/core#3140).
- 🏷️ Users with permission to bypass tag requirements can now toggle the behavior through the UI (flarum/tags#153).
- ⌨️ New users are now prompted for a nickname on registration (flarum/nicknames#4).
- 👮 Suspended users are now shown their suspension details on their first visit (flarum/suspend#41).
- 📬️ Total rewrite of Akismet, adding PHP8 compatibility, permission to bypass Akismet, a config option to immediately delete blatant spam, and other new features.
- ♿ Fixed multiple accessibility issues (flarum/core#3090, flarum/core#3161, flarum/core#3207, flarum/core#3018, flarum/core#3018, flarum/core#3173, flarum/core#3237).
- ✨ The CSS codebase now uses flexible CSS custom properties (flarum/core#3146).
- ⚙️ Introduced a default settings extender to replace migration-based defaults (flarum/core#3127).
- 🗃️ Developers can now replace blade template namespaces via a new extender (flarum/core#3167).
- 🪝 Introduced registering settings as
Less config variables through the settings extender (flarum/core#3011).
- 🐛 Many bugs were squashed.
- 🚅 Performance was further improved.
- 🧑💻 And much much more...
👨💻 For Developers
Most extensions should be ready-to-go on Flarum 1.2 out of the box. If you're overriding component views, directly manipulating the DOM, or changing core behavior through service providers you might need to implement some minor changes in some areas, here are some key points:
- For theming, we have now fully switched to using CSS custom properties. It is advised to declare your additional variables, especially colors as CSS custom properties and use them, for an easier transition to 2.0. Check out the pull request for more info.
evented util is now deprecated (flarum/core#2547).
- Pushing unregistered models to the store is now deprecated (flarum/core#3206).
- Providing models as attributes to
Model.pushAttributes() is deprecated (flarum/core#3249).
Before you upgrade, make sure to create a backup of your
public/assets directory, your
composer.json and your database!
Before starting the upgrade process, ensure you are on Flarum 1.0.0 or above in your Admin Dashboard or by typing
php flarum info. If you're not, use the previous release notes for upgrading from an earlier version.
To upgrade from 1.0 or 1.1 to 1.2, take a look at our upgrade guide documentation. The process should be much easier compared to previous major version upgrades, due to the lack of breaking changes.
If you run into any issues, please open a new discussion under the Support tag. Ignore similar discussions, and open a new one anyhow. Make sure to mention the output of
php flarum info,
composer why-not flarum/core v1.2.0, and any errors to their fullest.
Flarum wouldn't be the same without our over one hundred contributors, along with their generous time commitments! For this release we specifically thank these wonderful people:
- Code Contributors: @Kylo @clarkwinkelmann @ianm @rafaucau, sergiy-petrov, Braunson, wotta, mbicknese, fransiscusrolandamalau, MatusMak, fredden, grimmdude, komandar, doceazedo.
- Eagle-eyed issue reporters: @rob006, @Hari, @franga2000, purplespider, @rafaucau, HandyMenny, @Justoverclock, @Darkle, @[deleted], Greazi-Times, obfuscatedgenerated, @Nearata.
- Documentation contributions: @datlechin.
- Core Developers: @askvortsov @SychO @davwheat @datitisev @tankerkiller125 @luceos
- Quality Assurance: @katos @Deebug @ianm
- Community Staff: @jordanjay29 @meetdilip @Prosperous @Pollux @Kyrne
- Translation team: @GreXXL @Justoverclock @rob006
- Everyone who's submitted carefully described issues and suggestions.
- And the whole community sharing their passion for Flarum, urging us on!
🆘 Support the Project
We need your support to:
- Guarantee continued development on the software.
- Create a valuable ecosystem around the project.
- Ensure healthy extensions are available.
You can support us:
- 👕 By getting some swag from our merchandise store!
- 💵 By backing us on Open Collective or on GitHub.
- 👩💻 By contributing to the source code, hop onto any of our open issues.
- 📈 By creating your own Flarum extensions and sharing them with the world!
- 🌎 By translating Flarum and extensions into your own language.
- 💝 By sharing your love for Flarum with friends, family and on the internet.
- 💬 By hanging out with us, here on discuss!
If you're looking to get coding, make sure to check out our documentation.
🔮 What now?
As with every new release, stay tuned for potential patch releases, we will also very soon release our brand new revamped roadmap for v2.0 🚀.