I've put together a simple (yet powerful) Ansible Flarum installation script. It is a very heavily modified version of FreeFlarum's private deployment script to allow for maximum customization and automation.
The package bundle consists of two scripts - one for initial webserver configuration, and another for installing Flarum itself.
I am selling it for a symbolic price of 5 € at my donation page (which makes this my first, relatively commercial, Flarum-related paid content). I hope that this will help somebody!
Requires a clean, Ubuntu VPS server with root SSH access. It was tested on Ubuntu 22.04, but should probably work on older versions as well.
- Caddy for serving Flarum via reverse PHP-FPM proxy, with automatic HTTPS;
- PHP-FPM for serving Flarum;
- MariaDB/MySQL for database;
- Postfix for outgoing E-mail w/ SPF & DKIM + incoming E-mail forwarding to address of your choice;
- Setup multiple Flarum installations on the same server;
- 5 minutes for initial server setup;
- 30 seconds to set up a Flarum installation (you can setup multiple on the same server by re-running the Flarum deployment script);
- As bare-bones as possible - uses default php.ini and FPM configuration for maximum customization, to suit your needs;
- Installs Composer 2;
- A big summary at the end of each script execution, telling you what exactly you should do next to get your Flarum up and running in virtually no time;
In general, unzip the downloaded ZIP file to your empty server (e. g.:
~/deploy), then SSH as
cd to the unzipped folder and run
bash deploy.sh. To deploy additional Flarum sites, use
Further instructions about how to use these scripts are provided in their
README.md files in the script bundle itself. I've tried to make them as clear as possible, but if you are stuck with something, please let me know.
Not everyone is familiar with being a Linux system admin. Browsing the internet, Googling, struggling with configurations (and misconfigurations) is hard. Or, you simply might be one of the lazier people, like me 🙂
But why is it paid?
Over the past 3 years, I've been helping to maintain free, Flarum related tools and services on a (nearly) daily basis - some of them are more popular (FreeFlarum), some of them are less (pyFlarum and Slovak language). But as time moves on, I feel the importance of making my life more financially sustainable. Therefore, I've decided to maintain this Flarum installation script. I hope that it helps somebody.
Do NOT run this script on an existing server with data that you care about. I am not responsible for the wrong usage of this script, and any potential damage that could arise from that. Please, do follow the instructions carefully, always use an empty server for deployment, and nothing will go wrong.
This script was tested with various configurations, but please contact me through my donation page if you experience any issues during the installation.
If you have general questions or concerns about this, feel free to leave a reply there