I'm wondering how complicated it would be to extend Flarium to support additional different types of content to be added by users.
My very limited understanding with discussions is there are 2 main components:
1. Discussion Topic (title + body)
2. Posts (user posts in form of replies to the initial discussion)
I realize that there's more functionality, but I'm trying to keep this somewhat high-level.
What I'm wanting to understand is how complicated it be to give users additional types of content to create and if it's possible to segment these new types of content within the platform.
What I'm trying to accomplish
1. Give registered users the ability to create articles in addition to creating discussions (think of a blog post / editorial article)
2. I want to use the same post functionality that's present on a discussion with this new content type (instead of creating a separate commenting module)
3. I want to give users the ability to like the new content type (in addition to liking a specific posts left by users)
4. I want all content to share the same categories & tags
5. I want to segment content by their type
5.1 users who access domain.ext/d/ see all discussions
5.2 users who access domain.ext/a/ see all articles
5.3 homepage shows all content regardless of their type
So basically in a nutshell I want to allow a user to create an article (that looks like a blog post) and to use the same post logic as the commenting module to allow users to "discuss" & comment on the article that was added.
So before digging too deep down this rabbit hole, I figured I would check in here to get some feedback because I'm not really sure that something like this even possible.