Good idea! I'd like to contribute to implement such a thing. What needs to done? My very first idea:
- settings page where user can set an IMAP mail account
- function which checks IMAP for new mails and does the processing:
- content extraction (message body, senders, receivers, attachments etc)
- decode topic/tags from mail subject (existing/new topic)
- prove permissions to post to the topic by sender email/hash
- process an flarum API call to create/update post
- setup some cron job to fire the processing function every minute
Anything else (email notification etc) is already implemented right? So we get mailing list functionality from it this way?
- could this be done in a flarum plugin?
- how to ensure security? how to ensure reliability?
I have not much experiments with the Flarum extensions and API, so I would be glad if someone would like to join the development (e.g. creating an "empty" flarum extension to which I can contribute some of the functions proposed above.